Sablés Bretons are French butter cookies. They originated from Brittany, a cultural province in the northwest of France famous for its premium salted butter.
These cookies are light, crispy, and super delicious. The secret here is the salted butter.
It is imperative that you use a premium butter for this recipe. Get a French salted butter or Irish salted butter if you can. You won’t be disappointed!
Once you get the butter, everything else is pretty easy.
Ready in: 30 min
Serving: 30 cookies
- 125 g slightly cold salted butter, diced
- 1 cup + 2/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tsp milk or water
- 2 tsp finely grated lemon or orange zest (optional)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, egg, butter, vanilla, lemon or orange zest.
- In a separate small mixing bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Fold the flour mixture in the butter mixture until you get a soft dough.
- Cover dough with plastic wrap and put in the fridge for 20 min.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and set it apart.
- Flour a work surface and a rolling pin.
- Put the dough on the floured space and using your rolling pin, roll out the dough flat to about 1/8 inch thickness.
- Transfer the flat dough onto a parchment paper and put it in the fridge for 30 min or until it hardened.
- Meanwhile, beat egg yolk with milk or water together, line up a large baking sheet with parchment paper, and preheat oven to 380° F.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and paint it with the egg yolk mixture.
- Trace oblique lines on the flat dough with a fork first from left to right, and then across, from right to left.
- Use a round cookie cuter, about 2.75 inches diameter, to cut out the cookies.
- Transfer them one by one on the prepared baking sheet, making sure you leave some space between them.
- Bake them for 12 min or until they are slightly brown around the edge, then turn them and leave them in the oven for another 3 min.
- Remove the Sablés Bretons from the oven and let them cool before serving.