Doco, Africans delicious beignets, are a common street food in West Africa. They make a great snack that everyone cherishes, from kids to adults! They can also be served as breakfast with any grain porridge.
The beignets are easily shareable and make a great party aperitif, though they can also fill you up pretty fast when you can’t stop eating them, and that happens most of the time! Yes! They are that good!
Ready in: 1h20 min
Serving: makes 25-27 doco
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup warm water (for yeast preparation)
- 1 ¼cup warm water
- ¼ tsp of salt
- 1 Tbsp dry yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar for serving
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- In a ½ cup of water mix yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar.
- Set aside in a warm place until foam forms (about 10 min).
- In a large mixing bowl/pot, mix flour, sugar, salt, baking powder
- Add the yeast mixture.
- Gradually incorporate 1¼ cup of warm water.
- Add nutmeg and vanilla extract, and mix it.
- Cover with a plastic wrap or aluminum foil and let rise for about an hour.
- Scoop batter into hot oil to fry doco
- Fry each side until golden brown, about 1 min on each side
- Drain onto paper towels or a frying rack.
- Put doco in a serving bowl, Sprinkle sugar on top.