What can you do with your leftover mashed potatoes? Save it and make this delicious hachis parmentier.
Hachis parmentier is a French classic, traditionally made with leftover beef stew and potato purée. The left over meat is pulled apart or minced to make the dish.
Today you will find as many version of hachis parmentier as people making it. For this recipe, I am using ground beef. Choose a good quality meat for an exceptional result. I hope you enjoy this version as much as I do!
Ready in: 35 min
- 1 lb ground beef
- 3 medium potatoes, mashed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- ¼ ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- salt to taste
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp grated parmesan
- 1 green onion, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheese (gruyère, emmental, swiss or your favorite cheese for gratin)
- Put a skillet on a medium high heat
- Pour in oil and add onion, garlic, and stir for 2 minutes
- Add tomatoes and ground beef, stirring with a wooden spatula.
- Sprinkle with salt, ground pepper, thyme, and continue to stir.
- Add flour and stir.
- Let cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Turn the heat off and let the mixture cool down for 5 min.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 390º F, and grease a baking dish.
- Add egg yolk, parmesan, and green onion to the mixture.
- Spread the meat mixture in the greased baking dish.
- Spread mashed potatoes on top of the layer of meat.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese and put in the over for 20 minutes.
- Turn the broiled on high and broil for another 5 min. This gives the parmentier a nice golden brown finish.
- Take your hachi parmentier from the oven and turn oven off.
- Serve hot.