Total Cooking Time: 1h15min
Ingredients for turkey:
- 6 cups water + ¼ cup vinegar
- 6 lb turkey (mix of drums, breast, wings, or whichever part you like )
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ½ cup ground/puree onion
Ingredients for Amiwo:
- 1 ½ cups corn flour
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups tomato sauce
- 1 cup ground/puree onion
- pinch ground pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ¾ turkey broth
- Preheat oven to 380ºF
- Rinse turkey with vinegar and cold water.
- Put it in a large pan with all spices, ½ cup onion, and 6 cups of water
- Cook on medium heat for about 45 min
- Set the remaining liquid aside. It will serve as broth for the amiwo.
- Grease a baking sheet
- Put cooked turkey pieces in the oven until golden brown, about 30 min.
- Meanwhile, mix 1 ½ cup of corn flour with 3 cups of water, and set aside.
- Put a pan on a medium heat and add ¼ oil.
- Add tomato sauce, onion sauce, a pinch of ground pepper, cover, and let cook for 5 min, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and remove the cover.
- Add 1 tsp of salt, stir to blend it in, cover, put the heat back to medium, and let it cook for another 10 min.
- Reduce heat to low and remove the cover again.
- Pour in 1 ¾ cup of turkey broth, cover, and let it boil for about 10 min.
- Remove the cover, pour in the corn mixture stirring with a wooden spatula to prevent clumping.
- Continue stirring as the mixture thickens, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and cover the pan, let amiwo cook for 10 min.
- Remove cover, stir with spatula one last time. The amiwo should be thick, not too thick, not too soft.
- Grease a bowl and pour it in.
- Cover and let it rest for at least 30 min.
Serve Amiwo with baked turkey with Tomato and Onion sauce, and a little hot pepper puree for some heat.