Riz au gras is a very flavorful rice. It literally means fat rice. The fat gives it its tasteful flavor. It is made with tomato sauce, water/stock, spices, and oil. It is delicious and easy to make. I use ParExcellence Premium Long Grain Rice, it keeps the rice tender, so less chance of having mushy and sticky rice. However, you can use any kind of long-grain rice.
Total Cooking Time: 35 min
- 2 cups rice
- 3 cups water
- ½ cup oil
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- ½ cup onion puree (or 1 cup diced onion)
- 1 Tbsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- 2 dried bay leaves (optional)
- 1 cup mixed frozen veggies (peas, corn, green beans, carrots)
- Heat oil in a pan over medium heat for 2 min.
- Add tomato sauce, onion, salt, pepper, garlic and cook for 10 min, stirring occasionally.
- Add water and bay leaves
- Let it boil for 10 min
- Rinse your rice and add it to boiling water and stir
- Let the mixture come back to a gentle simmer stirring occasionally for about 2 min
- Add veggies and stir to blend all together
- Put the heat down to low
- Cover pan first with aluminum foil, then pan cover and let the rice cook for 30 min.
- Serve with baked or roasted chicken.