Total Cooking Time: 1h 10 min
- 1 lb cubed beef stew meat
- creole seasoning salt
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ cup corn oil
- 1 large sweet onion, diced
- ¼ tsp cayenne pepper powder (optional)
- 1 cup tomato sauce/fresh tomatoes, puréed
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup water
- ¼ medium head cabbage, roughly chopped
- 1 cup baby carrot, halved crosswise
- 2 small orange sweet pepper, thinly slices lengthwise
- 2 small red sweet pepper, thinly slices lengthwise
- 1 medium zucchini, diced into big chunks
- Clean beef with water and 2 Tbsp of vinegar and drain.
- Rinse again with water only and drain to remove as much water as possible.
- Sprinkle every inch of beef pieces with seasoning salt, blend it together.
- Put a large pot over a medium-high heat.
- Make sure the pot is completely dry and pour in oil.
- Add beef and let it cook uncovered for 15 min.
- Put heat down to medium, stir and let it cook for 10 min.
- Add onions, stir, put the heat down to medium-low, cover and cook for 15 min until the onions are tender.
- Remove cover, add tomato sauce, salt, ground pepper, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, and stir.
- Cover and cook for 15 min.
- Remove cover, add water, stir, put the heat back to medium, and cook for 10 min.
- Add cabbages and carrots.
- Cover and cook for 5 min.
- Sprinkle zucchini chunks with salt.
- Remove cover, add zucchini, sweet pepper, and stir.
- Cover again and let cook for 5 min until zucchini chunks are just tender. Do not overcook the zucchini.
- Turn off the heat and transfer the stew to a serving bowl.
Serve the beef and vegetable stew hot with couscous or rice. Check out my whole grain couscous with beef and vegetable stew.