Tomato and Onion Sauce is one of those versatile sauce you can eat with a bunch of side dish such as rice, ablo, akassa, rice, attièkè, yam, bread, etc. The uses are endless. That’s what I like the most about this sauce. It is easy to make, and unlike the common African meal, it takes just 15 min max to make.
Once you have your ingredients ready, you are good to go!
Total Cooking Time: 10-15 min
- 1 medium onions, sliced lengthwise
- 3 medium tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- ¼ vegetable oil
- ½ tsp + ¼ tsp salt
- 2 tsp tomato sauce
- 2 habanero/scotch bonnet pepper
- ground pepper
- garlic powder
- Put a dry skillet over a medium-low heat.
- Pour in the oil and let heat for a minute.
- Add the onion slices to the pan.
- Sprinkle the onions with ½ tsp of salt and stir to coat the onions with the salt and oil.
- Let cook for 5 min.
- Add the tomato slices, ¼ tsp of salt, a pinch of ground pepper and a pinch of garlic.
- Stir to blend everything together with the spices.
- Add the tomato sauce and habanero pepper.
- Cook for another 5 min until the tomato sauce is cooked.